Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Passing time.

The best part of the subway, for me, is the chance to read.

There are certain books that are perfect for train travel.

They need to fit comfortably in my purse, which is easy to do since it's roughly the size of a carryon dufflebag, but still. More importantly, the best ones make you almost miss your stop because you are so caught up in the story.

For example, I was re-reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows over the summer. I got on the train, sat and read straight without looking up until 34th St / Herald Sq when I saw that I had been sitting right across from my manager Jason the entire time. Um, way to be observant, me. But the point is, I was so caught up in the drama, the train ride was nothing to me.

Right now I'm in the middle of Julie & Julia which happens to be about blogging and is probably part of the reason I started this. I highly recommend it. I would call it "exaggerated non-fiction" since Julie straight-up says she made some parts up... but generally it's true. Who would think reading about a woman cooking would be so entertaining? Most likely because I relate so much with her, especially with her faults.

So get out there and read a book on the subway. It's a great way to pass the time.

No comments: